Home » Electricity

Gross Solar Feed In Tariff Petition For Australia

23 January 2009 9 Comments

Solar Australia coat of arms.The Australian government is waffling on the issue of a nationalised renewable energy feed-in tariff for homes. Recent announcements seem to indicate that they’ll favour a net tariff, which is very much inferior to the gross feed-in tariff the solar industry is calling for.

A gross feed-in tariff (where the energy-producing household is paid for all the electricity they generate) would create a massive incentive for people to invest in rooftop solar systems and other renewable energy sources (e.g. small-scale wind generators). This is what we need!

If you agree, hop on over and sign the Gross Solar Feed In Tariff Petition For Australia. I have.

The comment I left was:

C’mon Mr Garrett! You agitated the government for years on environmental issues, and that’s why we elected you. Now you’ve suddenly gone quiet, except for occasional cave-ins like the watering down of the solar rebate program. It’s time you make the difference we elected you for!

Leave a comment below and let me know if you signed it!

9 Comments »

• Stewart said:

Hi Darren. I have added a post to my blog in sympathy to yours. If you don’t like it let me know and I’ll remove it. http://stewarts-vg.blogspot.com/2009/01/gross-solar-feed-in-tariff-petition-for.html

• Darren (author) said:

No problem at all, Stewart. Thanks for helping to spread the word!

• Michael said:

Thanks for the coverage guys, we really appreciate it! 3,000+ signatures already!

• Darren (author) said:

Thanks for organising the petition, Michael! It’s important to send our message to the politicians before they make a final decision – once made, it’d be a lot harder to get changed. I think there’s an opportunity right now to put a few of these types of incentives in place, generate some demand, keep the economy ticking over, and come out the other end of this recession with a stronger and more resilient Australian economy. It’s better than just giving everyone a handout so they can buy imported HD LCD TVs from Harvey Norman!

• Gavin said:

Hi Darren,

I also have written a post about this wonderful petition.

Gross Feed-in Tariff Petition

It is about time the boys and girls in Canberra had a wake-up call regarding their lack of action regarding a true feed in tariff. This petition maybe just what they need to snap them out of this stupour!

Gav

P.S. Great blog. I have just added yours to my blog roll!

• Darren (author) said:

Thanks Gav! I’ve been following your blog for a little while now, and am very much enjoying it.

• Karan said:

Thanks for this info. I have signed it and sent a post to all of my friends as well Cheers Karan

• Darren (author) said:

Thanks very much Karan. The more people who back the message, the more likely it is that the pollies will pay attention.

• Verna Pompa said: