- Rob over at One Straw has posted about how he is using mulched-filled trenches as paths between his garden beds. This is exactly what I’ve been setting up in my gardens, so I was very excited to discover someone that had found success with it! Also check out his Midden L’eau Chaude for producing massive quantities of hot water and compost, and his articles on Sub-Acre Agriculture.
- Tiny Houses – Wow, so many cool resources on this topic – Sugar Mountain Farm, Milkwood (near Mudgee, NSW), the Tinyhouse Blog, Tiny House Design, Inhabitat, Urban Rancher, The Tiny Life. I love the idea! Seeing these houses motivates me to de-junk and make more efficient use of the space in our house.
- A shopping list for assembling a home first aid kit, for less than $10 per week over 8 weeks. It details US products in US dollars, but should translate fairly closely for other countries. This is a great way to build up an essential kit without a huge up-front cost.
- Musings From A Stonehead – A blog by a Scottish crofter breeding heritage pigs. Lots of very useful information for people raising (or planning to raise!) pigs on a small scale.
- Jenna from Cold Antler Farm got her first pig – congratulations Jenna! Others are also getting in on the pig-raising act: Team Bettendorf, TerraByte Farm, and Linda Cockburn (one of my favourite sustainability writers – check out Living The Good Life). I love reading about other people doing similar stuff to us. It kind of makes me feel less weird :-).
I hope you enjoy the links above. If you’d like to make reading suggestions for the week ahead, please post them in the comments below!